Re: Sony PCG-C1VN PictureBook, ATI Rage Mobility

> 	I've just installed Debian 2.2 on a new Sony PictureBook,
> the PCG-C1VN.  It has an 8MB ATI Rage Mobility graphics controller,
> which doesn't seem to be supported under Debian 2.2/XFree86 3.3.6.
> I tried a quick build of XFree86 4.0.1 from source, installed in /opt,
> but had little success.  Perhaps I'm just missing something...

could you give the lspci or superprobe response for it?  I'm pretty darn
certain I've been using an 8 MB ATI Rage Mobility under 3.3.6.  But I have
the feeling there's more than one instance of their chipset that they
gleefully call "mobility".  The one I have access to calls itself Mobility-P
(I think - my hubby has it right now).

> 	Should this card be supported in woody?  Any suggestions?
> Thanks...

What sort of "doesn't work" does it do?  maybe it just needs better modelines.
I recently encountered a case where the thing wouldn't work at all in any mode
but 1024x768.  Annoying, until I figured that out.  If I wanted the "lesser"
pixel states, I had to use the unaccelerated SVGA driver which, curiously
enough, worked fine at all sizes.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...