Re: strange melting screen when X starts

> Thanks for everybody's help!
>
> I've done it. I found an option in my BIOS setup called 'resolution
> expended', and it was enabled by default. I disabled it and the melting
> screen never show again. But there is a trade off. I can only get 640x480
> small screen for text mode now. It's a bit painful. Can I have both full
> screen text mode and a nice X?

With the caveat that I don't have a laptop with this problem -
	you can almost certainly get more text onto the screen by using
	another vga mode

	you might be able to use /dev/nvram to spot where the option for
	that thing is, and then (maybe) tweak it yourself when you need
	(stuff it in your startx script for example)

> And there are still some other problems.
>
> 1) X can't be killed nicely.

Try switch to text console before suspend?

If you can recall any unique buzzwords, try them in Google (www.google.com)

> 4) I still can't login as a normal user. I guess it's because something
> wrong with my upgrade from 3.3.2 to 4.0.1. For example...

I haven't used X 4 yet, can't help you out there.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places