thinkpad i1452 hard drive problem

hi,

i've run debian (slink earlier, now potato) on my ibm thinkpad 1452 (type
2611) for almost a year without any bigger trouble. however there is one
issue that keeps me gettin annoyed - it might be a hardware issue but it
might be software as well:

once in a while the harddrive will start to make very regular noises like
crazy (sounds like the head is first seeking over the whole drive and then
crashing into the case again and again) that change their pattern every
few minutes or so. the drive is unaccessible in this state and i get logs
like

ide0: reset timed out, status 0xd0
hda: status timeout 0x80 { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command

the only way to reset this is to switch the computer off and reboot (which
takes about 10 minutes because of the fsck).

i've tried to reproduce the problem but i can't seem to find anything -
it happens most of the time in a phase when the computer is totally idle
(ok, except for syslog etc.) but obviously it happens as well sometimes
when the drive is kept busy (tried running a script that appends a few
bytes to a file every 5 seconds and flushes the disk, didn't help).
sometimes it happens twice a day, sometimes it does not happen a full
month.

im running kernel 2.2.16 at the moment but this machine was initially used
on 2.2.12. i updated the bios as well about 2 months ago.

has anyone encountered a similar problem or is there even a solution
around? or can someone tell me that it's definitely a hardware problem so
that i can claim warranty on the machine?

thanks

christoph

Christoph Hebeisen                                        Graduate Student
Department of Physics                                           cth@sfu.ca
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6                                  Phone +1 604 291-5924
Canada                                               Fax   +1 604 291-3592