Ethernet slowness

I have a new Etherfast PCMPC100 card. But it seems to be _much_ slower under
Linux than under Windows 98, on the same machine. For example, FTP'ing or
scp'ing a 1.8MB test file from another machine in the same building took 50s
under Linux (38kB/s), 2.8s under Windows (675kB/s).

Can anyone think of a reason for this? Anything I could tinker to speed it
up?

My machine: Packard Bell EasyLite FX 500 = NEC Versa FX.
My card: Etherfast PCMPC100.
Our network: 10baseT.
Packages: Potato, i.e.
 ii  kernel-source- 2.2.15-3       Linux kernel source for version 2.2.15
 ii  pcmcia-cs      3.1.8-16       PCMCIA Card Services for Linux.
 ii  pcmcia-modules 3.1.8-14       PCMCIA Modules for Linux (kernel 2.2.15).
 ii  pcmcia-source  3.1.8-16       PCMCIA Card Services source.

TIA.

--
Stephen Turner               http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
  Statistical Laboratory, Wilberforce Road, Cambridge, CB3 0WB, England