Re: New Sony VAIO support?

wehe> AFAIK these features are currently unsupported:

wehe> - jog dial, shouldn't be to difficult to make a driver I guess
wehe>   it might be a PS/2 device and the data stream traceable with 'mev'
wehe>   from the 'gpm' package

i tried mev out but had no luck -- i wish i had the skill to read raw
dlls ;-)  i remember hearing that there was some connection to the ps/2
hardware though.

wehe> - camera, which is probably an USB device, which doesn't mean
wehe>   it will work out of the box, but there is a chance

i'd attach a post i saw on the c1-forum mailing list about someone's
success at getting specs on the camera, but i notice that there's a

the post was by Robert Lowery <Robert.Lowery@colorbus.com.au>, so if you
are interested, you might want to contect him or Werner Almesberger
(almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch).

wehe> - the display dimming, which is probably a BIOS32 function

i don't know if this has meaning on my machine as it doesn't use a
backlight lcd.

wehe> - IrDA, there are reports about SIR working, what about FIR?

i haven't gotten this to work on my c2 yet -- i'm waiting for 2.2.15.

wehe> - modem, I got reports about a working modem, at least for some models

i've heard that some of the older c1s work -- my particular model has a
winmodem, for which there does not appear to be a driver yet.

lspci gives:

  Communication controller: CONEXANT: Unknown device 1036 (rev 08)

on my machine.

wehe> - sound?

a number of the c1s appear to support a sound blaster emulation mode --
however, the maximum volume available under linux is very quiet on my
machine ;-)

lspci gives:

  Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-744B [DS-1S Audio Controller] (rev 02)

on my machine.

wehe> - firewire?

from the linux 1394 project page:

  Not supported is the proprietary Sony chipset found in various Vaio
  systems (not to be confused with the OHCI chipset produced by Sony
  which is supported and found in the rest of the Vaios).

i wonder if someone else has some specific information regarding which
models work and which don't...

lspci on my machine gives:

  FireWire (IEEE 1394): Sony Corporation CXD3222 iLINK Controller (rev 02)

a quick search on google suggests that there is some kind of support
for this chip -- at least in the 2.3.x series.

wehe> - GPS/GSM ??

i have a usb gps unit, but i haven't heard of anyone working on linux
support for it.  i used to have a pcmcia gps unit which i could talk to
as a normal serial device, but i suspect the sony gps unit to be a bit
more complex given what it seems to be able to do.

wehe> - memory stick

my model doesn't have a slot for these evil beasts.  (sorry i couldn't
resist)

wehe> hint, I would like to have such a machine and work on it ;-)

if i had an extra, i'd send one to you ;-)

wehe> Or more serious, what about a Linux VAIO Project?

sounds interesting to me.