Re: New Sony VAIO support?

david> I was wondering if anyone is working on support for the newer Sony
david> VAIO notebooks, as there are a _lot_ of features which are currently
david> unsupported under Debian (and Linux in general, in fact).

i wonder too :-)

david> example, the function keys which switch to an external monitor, the
david> volume etc (which all used to be supported by the BIOS directly) are
david> now seemingly handled in software, which is only available for
david> Windows... *sigh*

i am using a c2, but i think the "switching to an external monitor"
(fn-f7 and fn-f8) thing still works under linux.  hibernation also
works (fn-f12).  mute works (fn-f3).  volume control doesn't work for
me (fn-f4?) -- but i have a hunch that this might work if appropriate
drivers for the sound hardware were used (instead of sound blaster
compatible mode).  i know other people using c1s who say that this
stuff (other than sound) works for them -- may be the model number is
different from what you are using.

david> Has Sony given any word on whether information will be given out, so
david> that full use of these, otherwise very nice, notebooks can be made
david> under an OS other than Windows?

i'd like to know too.

david> (The PCG-C1XE/S/D and PCG-Z505HX [I think..] both have this problem,
david> and I assume many others do too).

david> <rant>
david> As an aside, I think that Sony have taken a large step backwards by
david> doing this to their customers.
david> </rant>

<resonating rant>
although i agree w/ your opinion, i think they would say the opposite
-- i get the impression that they would like their customers to stick
w/ windows, that they think that by narrowing which os one is using
they are able to concentrate on providing their customers w/ a better
experience.  i don't like it, but that's the impression i get.

<really ranting, don't take me seriously now>
this is a company that has had a history of trying to lock people into
their own standards: e.g. beta video and memory sticks.  obviously
they didn't write windows, but their behavior is not really
surprising.  i wouldn't be surprised if they had a patent on the jog
dial as well (it's just a mouse wheel turned sideways!).
</really ranting, don't take me seriously now>

if there were a comparable machine available that had a decent keyboard,
i would have purchased that instead ;-P
</resonating rant>

p.s. anyone writing a driver for the jog dial?