Modem disconnects every few minutes

Hi, I have had this problem as long as I have had my laptop. I am
currently running a hand rolled 2.2.12 kernel but the problem existed
with previous kernels. The problem is upon first connection the modem
disconnects typically after the first 8, 15, and 30+ minutes. Then it
usually lasts for at least an hour or two before disconnecting again. It
reconnects automatically. Sometimes the first disconnect will be after 5
minutes, or 10, i.e. the above connection times do not exactly repeat
but are close. I tried a pcmcia modem and I get the same disconnections
so it is not the modem. My laptop has an internal modem by the way. On
the /dev/console there are send/recieve messages every 30 seconds.
Eventually I will get a send signal but no receive and several tens of
seconds after that (still with no receive signal) the modem disconnects
with a "Hangup (SIGHUP)". It is NOT a matter of being timed out by my
provider or ppp. It is very frustrating and I am tired of putting up
with it for these past 2 years. I would like to get this figured out.
Could the problem be on the level of the serial port??

I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Matt