Re: mp3 use - laptop purchase

Alexander Clouter wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Ben Messinger wrote:
> >
> > I need to purchase a laptop within the next two weeks. One of the most
> > critical factors is superb sound support. One of the primary functions
> > of my laptop will be to serve up mp3's through an ampliphied sound
> > system at dances. I also am looking for a laptop with at least
> > 1024x768x24bit resolution/color.
> >
> > Please let me know which laptops have sound working well under Linux. I
> > am not so concerned with the quality of the speakers on the laptop, just
> > the quality of the signal at the line-out jack. Thanks in advance!
> >
> I'm not sure whether you would want a laptop if this is more or less what
> you plan to use your computer for.
<snip>

This will be just one of many things it will be used for.

> You may say that only one of the uses of the laptop is to play mp3's,
> however how portable is your amplifier and its speakers?  not very I would
> imagine.

Actually someone else handles that. I just show up with the cd's and do
the DJ work. I already have non-portables that could do the job but
since I am getting a laptop I want it to do this as well. Thanks for the
response and advice. You do make several good points.

-Ben Messinger