Re: Install problem on laptop Toshiba T4400sxc

> Would you know what is going on and how I could successfully install the
> system?
>
> Additional Information:
>
> - I tried booting from the RESC1440 but got a computer freeze on the
> following message :
> RAMDISK:Compressed image found at block 0
> Couldn't get a free page....
> Out of memory VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem)
>
> - so I used the LOWMEM.bin floppy and I was able to boot and partition the
> hard disk: 16MB swap (type 82 from block 1 to 121) - 2MB temporary root
> (type 81 from block 122 to 137) - 108MB for / (type 83 from block 138 to
> 934). The whole disk being used for Linux only.
>
> - First strange message after initializing the 16MB swap and 2MB root and
> typing 4 (exit), I got "SWAP ON... failed". But the install program load
> nonetheless.

On a few disty/system combinations where things were acting weird, I found it
suitable to partition in one pass, reboot, then assign the partitions and use
them in a new pass.

Given the tight memory disk seemed to help, I would not proceed without
working swap.

Also worth downloading toms root/boot (http://www.toms.net/rb) to see if
it will work in your situation.  As a one disk boot floppy with normal
library behavior you can use it to test that those partitions came out all
right.

> - I then configure the keyboard without problem but during the "Configure
> Device Driver Modules, I get a "can't open /lib/2.0.86/modules" and another
> "can't open" something (too fast to read it). The install program then goes
> to "exit, finished with the modules" (I don't get to select any module and
> then go back to main menu and start "install base system and get terminal
> problem described in the opening of this message.
>
> Well that's it. I sure hope you can help me out.

I know there's an installing via PLIP howto out there, but you haven't
mentioned if you also have any other machine around to work with.

If I had the situation myself, I can tell you I'd be very tempted to open
it, and attach its internal drive to another box temporarily for the purpose
of getting base crammed on it.  But I have the equipment around for that;
you might not.

> Thank you,
> Chris

Best of luck.