Re: pcmcia network cards

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 11:13:00 +0100,
Othmar Pasteka <pasteka@kabsi.at> wrote:
[...]
> but what's actually the experiences which network cards work
> smoothly and without problems with notebooks?

i recently played with a notebook, and had no problems using a Xircom 10/100
card and a gericom 10/100 card (tulip chip inside) in connection with
10 mbit hubs and switches.

one thing to make sure is that you actually can buy spare connector cables
(PCMCIA <-> RJ45), as they tend to break fairly often. and even though the
connector is a standard, the pinout is different for each vendor.

> what cheap cards are out there which can be recommended? it
> doesn't necessarily be a 10/100 mbit card, 10 is perfectly fine

the gericom card cost me about 1000 ATS (~70 USD), and i'm quite happy with
it. you should be able to find it at saturn or media markt.

--
Thomas 'Mike' Michlmayr  | ignorami: n: The BOFH art of folding problem
<mike+sig@cluon.priv.at> |           lusers into representational shapes.