noflushd & hdparm

I finally have my laptop repaired.  Yay!  So I'm finally sorting out
how to make it use less power.

 * I tracked down mobile-update and installed it.
 * I set my noatime on all my filesystems.
 * I installed noflushd, but now I'm wondering why.

My BIOS settings let me set spindown & sleep timeouts for the hard
drive, but they both only go up to 15 minutes.  15 mins of idle time
is fine for a spindown, but I want the sleep timeout longer, because
it takes a few seconds to wake up from that.

`hdparm -Y /dev/hda` will put the drive into a deep sleep, but I don't
see a way to have it happen automatically with a timeout.

`hdparm -S num /dev/hda` seems to set a timeout for spindown.

noflushd also seems to do a spindown, though the man page uses the
word "sleep".  What's the purpose of noflushd then?  Is it just for
drives that don't have idle timers built in?  Is it redundant when
`hdparm -S` works?  Is there a way to set a sleep timeout?