Re: pcmcia modem

Hi,

  I'm running also into problems with my pcmcia modem after upgrading
to potato/frozen.  Inserting the card results in two beeps as the
modules get loaded, but the device is not set up.  So, setserial
reports that the device is managed by pcmcia, but /dev/modem is not
accessible ("no such device"; yes the link is valid).

  Solution:  rmmod serial *before* inserting the card.  This means you
have to compile the serial driver as module.

No clue why this works, looks like a bug to me.  Maybe I should add
something like "pre-install serial_cs: rmmod serial" to the
modules.conf file...

  -tom

P.S. This is on a TP385XD with one serial port enabled, not sure
whether this matters.

--
mailto:tov@ece.cmu.edu (Tom Vogels)   Tel: (412) 268-6638   FAX: -3204