Re: EtherExpress Pro fails on 100baseTx

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, John Lapeyre wrote:

> I have an Intel EtherExpress PRO/100
> 16 bit combo card.  I am testing it
> on various 10baseT hubs and with a
> crossover cable directly to 100 Mbit cards.

I happen to have a ethernet only EtherExpress PRO/100, but I'm not sure
it's the same type of card, there are different types of cards under the
same name. Mine uses the xircom driver.

> It works fine if both cards are set to 10baseT-HD
> (for instance with D Becker's mii-diag program,
> or through autonegotiation).  I can pretty much
> saturate the link.  However at 10baseT-FD, I
> get only about 100 KB/s (instead of 800 or 900).
> Also at 100baseTx I either get 100KB/s (talking to
> a card using the rtl8139 driver) or nothing
> at all (talking to a DLink card that uses
> via-rhine driver ).  mii-diag shows that the cards are reading
> each other's beat frequencies and they negotiate fine.
> But if they negotiate for, or I force, 100baseTx (HD or FD)
> it doesn't work. Again, if I force 10baseT-HD I get about
> 800 KB/s.
>   I have only tried one crossover cable so far.
> I have not really tested the modem, but it dials OK.

I have only tested against a 3C905btx, and only HD on a switched lan, with
ttcp.
I found out that the card wasn't any faster on 100base than it was on
10baset, only when transmitting it was 50% faster, but at a cost of 100%
CPU load...
I never managed to get autonegotiation to work with this card (but gave op
quite soon), so I generally only use 10base HD.

> I am running a current Debian potato on a new Sager 3550 notebook. I
> am running kernel 2.2.14.  I have compiled all the pcmcia stuff myself.  I
> tried various recent pcmcia-cs and module versions, and a few recent
> versions of the via-rhine driver. (I have tried the latest stable and
> unstable versions, if available, from the authors' websites).
>
> Anyone have a clue what is going on ?

Well, rememeber that a 16 bit PCMCIA bus can be compared with ISA
speeds... and that's just enough to handle 10base networks. (I have a
3c515 network card too - 100basetx ISA NIC...)

You do know that using Full Duplex with a HUB isn't going to work ??

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan