EtherExpress Pro fails on 100baseTx

I have an Intel EtherExpress PRO/100
16 bit combo card.  I am testing it
on various 10baseT hubs and with a
crossover cable directly to 100 Mbit cards.

It works fine if both cards are set to 10baseT-HD
(for instance with D Becker's mii-diag program,
or through autonegotiation).  I can pretty much
saturate the link.  However at 10baseT-FD, I
get only about 100 KB/s (instead of 800 or 900).
Also at 100baseTx I either get 100KB/s (talking to
a card using the rtl8139 driver) or nothing
at all (talking to a DLink card that uses
via-rhine driver ).  mii-diag shows that the cards are reading
each other's beat frequencies and they negotiate fine.
But if they negotiate for, or I force, 100baseTx (HD or FD)
it doesn't work. Again, if I force 10baseT-HD I get about
800 KB/s.
  I have only tried one crossover cable so far.
I have not really tested the modem, but it dials OK.

I am running a current Debian potato on a new Sager 3550 notebook. I
am running kernel 2.2.14.  I have compiled all the pcmcia stuff myself.  I
tried various recent pcmcia-cs and module versions, and a few recent
versions of the via-rhine driver. (I have tried the latest stable and
unstable versions, if available, from the authors' websites).

Anyone have a clue what is going on ?
 Thanks,
 John

P.S.
Second problem:
  The kernel clock seems to run ~ 1% slow.  And there
may be other clock problems.   /proc/cpuinfo
sometimes gets the clockspeed at 377 MHz instead of 500MHz
(this chip is not supposed to support multiple speeds)

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org