Re: Xircom cem56 hot swap

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 08:24:20PM +0100, Joost Claessen wrote:
> Hello peole,
>
> I have a toshiba 320CDT laptop whit a cem56 Xircom ethernet/modem cart.
> Latly whem I remove the cart while running (hot swapping, yeh!) the
> pcmcia cardmanager remove the module corectly, but if I insert the cart
> again it pcmcia manager load the memory module instead of the xircom module.
> Strangely the happens not if I am not connected to a network.
>
> Has anyone experienced this also? Does anyone know a solution?
> Thanx for any help.
>
> Mzzl, Joost (de zoveelste)

Yes, I sometimes have the same problem.  I have a Xircom RealPort combo,
basically the same card as yours, on a Toshiba 490CDT.

I notice the problem particularly occurs if I'm running on battery power and
resume after a suspend [actually, in the last couple of days the system
broke down, and I can't suspend at all now.  Is the latest apmd buggy?]

I don't know why I get the problem with "memory module".  One thing though,
I notice that `cardctl config` says:

  interface type is "memory and I/O"

so I wonder if that has something to do with it.  I've been thinking I
should mention it here too, or maybe submit it as a bug, but thought maybe
it's just me.

Insofar as the problem only occurs when I'm on battery power, the only thing
I've been able to do is plug AC power on.  Irritating, and I didn't use to
have to do this.  I can't remember when it started but it's been like this
for some time, maybe a couple of months.

Another thing you can do is restart /etc/init.d/pcmcia.

Thanks for bringing it up.  It's about time we figured this problem out.  I
just hope we can!

Drew