Re: Shutdown causes time loss on a Toshiba Tecra 8000

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Mark Phillips wrote:

Linux uses a software clock, not the hardware clock, to keep track of
time. Obviously, when the computer is suspended, that clock stops. The
solution is to read the hardware time into the software clock (using
hwclock --hctosys) on resume. Optionally, it can also store the time using
--systohc on suspend. I had thought that debian did the first
automatically; I never had problems with it. Check to make sure that APM
is recieving suspend events before they happen, and has enough time to
execute scripts. Do a "tail -f /var/log/daemon.log" before
suspending/resuming, to see if it is.

Ben