Minor problems under potato

now that all the major stuff is working on my laptop and whistles when I
want it to :) I need just a few more bits to be sorted out:

1.  Suspend - This is the main problem that has to be fixed.  All the
apm stuff works apart from that when I wake up the computer from a
suspend the machine seems to poll its self to go into then standby every
2 to 4 seconds.  I wake it up from standby and simply 2 to 4 seconds
later it goes back into standby, does seem to be standby as the
backlight and everything goes off just like a normal standby.  This
happens indefinately and as you can imagine its damn irritating!
However if I'm in a text console everything is happy, its only when I am
in XWindows (3.3.5) that this happens, if I have XWindows running on
some console, go to a text console and put the machine into standby its
happy when I wake it up, only then I change back into my XWindows
console to find the problem there.  This problem used to happen ages ago
on my machine and then after bearing it for a while it disappeared, its
now back and has no signs of going away.
	This happens under all ways of putting my machine into suspend, whether
its via wmapm, apm -s or even the suspend button mounted on my laptop.

2.  Harddisk - I've been following the harddisk won't spin down thread
and still my harddisk....won't spin down :(  Every 4 or 5 seconds it
does something to my harddisk :(  Occassionly the harddisk does spin
down but this is very rarely.

3.  Network card - This is damn strange and as a result my friend keeps
laughing at me having to reboot my machine :(  As I use several network
environments have have my machine fired up with netenv and so have
sorted out the pcmcia network.opts file to make sure everythings happy.
However when connection to my college network occurs everything is
happy, however that is usually just after a reboot, as I can't put my
machine into suspend where-ever I go anyway I have to turn it off :(
When I want to set up a two person machine network the routing table and
everything is happy, according to the lights on my network card stuff is
going out along the cable, the lights on my friends machine indicate
stuff going in to their laptop yet they can't see each other.  To change
network configuration I do 'netenv' followed by a '/etc/init.d/pcmcia
restart'.  I tried removing/replacing the card and nothing happens until
I actually reboot the machine then everything works.  I have also tried
'/etc/init.d/networking restart' and would of done '/etc/init.d/network
restart' but this now seems to just set up a local loopback and thats it
(I guess this is being phased out).  Any ideas what else I should
restart to avoid having to reboot my machine?

4.  Serial ports - My internal serial port is happy (ttyS0), however the
IR port being emulated as a serial port (ttyS1) causes 'Input/Output
error'.  This is not so much a problem but it also happens with the
PCMCIA modems I plug in (ttyS3).  They do install and all the right
modules load up and it even report it has been set to ttyS2 but it even
when I 'cat /dev/ttyS2' all I get is the same input/output error.  The
first modem I tried was a Megahertz V.34 Modem and then I tried a GSM
card with a real serial Modem built in to it.  I could understand the
GSM one not working however the Megahertz modem is actually suppoted.
One thing that is strange is that the pcmcia cardmgr reports the modem
set up on tty02 but /var/state/pcmcia/stab reports everything happy on
ttyS02.  Guess the first report is some typo in the module code then :)
This is really bugging me also as to get internet access through our
internal phone system I have to set up my friends win95 machine with a
winmodem as a gateway and pass my laptop through it via the ethernet
cards.  Nasty.

5.   Samba - Okay, this isn't the right place for it but whilst I'm
listing my problems I may as well throw this one in ;)  Samba is working
happyly on my machine and I can connect my self to my self and also
connect to other peoples machines.  However when people look for me that
cannot find me (they are using windows98 machines).  I look for them, no
problems.  If I try a manual find on their machine still no sign of me
:(  Sounds like external access is being forbidden but I don't know how
to fix this or where to look.  This isn't to much of a problem as for
file transfers we just use ftp but for my friends to have an actual
filer window to play with does make it about twenty times easier and
also impresses them :)

Many thanks in advance, I guess the above problems are easy to fix but I
have no clue what next to do.

Alex

--
**       ((__))   Alexander "Jim diGriz" Clouter
   ||      ||                (remove those spaces to e-mail me)
   ~~~    ~~~        equip : 300Mhz Celeron Laptop running
  Cow during an                      Debian Linux
   Earthquake