Re: screen goes black

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:

> It's a Thinkpad T20, the latest series from IBM, it's one of the fastest
> laptops on the market.  It was previously working fine until I recompiled my
> kernel (with the same version and options as before).  This machine

hmm, you didn't turn on framebuffer devices by any chance?  by
accident?

Can you switch vga modes?  What happens if you pick another vga mode
(vga=ask in lilo.conf, then pick another video mode)?

If you reinstall/reboot into the old kernel, does the screen work as
expected?

Which X server do you use?  Have you tried SVGA instead of the
accelerated server for S3?

The "previously working fine" sounds suspicious -- is the kernel
the only thing you've changed?  Eh, if it's the same version and
options, why did you recompile?

> outperforms most desktop machines that are being sold today, and for server
> type operations outperforms most Sun server machines.
>
> The symptoms (for the third time) are that the screen goes entirely blank but
> then anything which is re-drawn (for any reason) displays fine.

  -tom