Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and keyboard mappings

Thanks Hubert.

>     Calum> I've just upgraded (actually re-installed the whole system) from
>     Calum> 3.x, and it's all change - now my keys are all in the "wrong"
>     Calum> place. This used to be controlled via the XF86Config file, but no
>     Calum> more.
>
> XF86 4 uses the XF86Config-4 file instead.

I actually meant that the keyboard setting are no longer specified in
it, rather than the name change. I now see that the options are still
available - perhaps I was confused by the man page, which doesn't
mention them explicitly.

> What kind of strange keymappings do you get?  Are your letter keys all messed
> up, or is it just the modifiers (Ctrl, Shift, etc.)

It's just that I have a UK keyboard, so the US default meant all the
special chars were wrong.

> Basic xkb command:
> setxkbmap us
> sets your keyboard mapping to us layout.

Wonderful!  "setxkbmap gb" did exactly what I wanted :)

Now, is there a "correct" place to put this command (for system-wide
use), rather than in my .profile?

Thanks again.

cheers,
C.