Re: IBM 2,5" drive

Pending further investigation, we now allege that Maurice Verhagen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> last week I wrote about my broken IBM disk in here.
> the 6gb travelstar I wanted to buy wasn't available anymore.
> So I looked for another disk and found the travelstar 20GN (10 gb) space.
> I saw the interface was ATA-5 although the same IBM page said the
> interface was ATA-4.
> (http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/travel/32gh30gt20gndata.htm)
>
> I wondered what this interface is. Does ATA-5 exist? I now have an
> thinkpad 390e with ATA-4 interface which supports 9.5mm disks, this is my
> only chance, or doesn't it work at all?
>
> please, could anybody make this clear to me?

I'd imagine that they mean that it's a UDMA/66 drive, which would be
compatible with older systems.  The pins are all the same, it's just the
cables and controllers that are different on UDMA/66.

You also aren't necessarily required to get an IBM drive. Any 2.5"
9.5mm IDE drive should work (although IBM hard drives are good ones).