Re: running X in a telnet session

victorgv  <victorgv@bu.edu> writes:

> Andrew Dwight Dixon wrote:
>> Hi All, I'm using telnet to log into my desktop machine from my
>> laptop and I would like to be able to run an application on the
>> desktop machine and have the display be on the laptop. After loging
>> into the desktop and switching the DISPLAY variable:
>>
>> >export DISPLAY="192.168.1.2:0.0"
>>
>> I get this error message when I try to run a program:
>>
>> Xlib: connection to "192.168.1.2:0.0" refused by server Xlib: Client
>> is not authorized to connect to Server Application initialization
>> failed: couldn't connect to display "192.168.1.2:0.0"
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> xhost + on notebook

Ugh!  You do realize that you just let *anyone* in the world connect to
your X server?

If you run `xhost +', anyone can read every event from X. This lets them
take over your machine remotely or to read every keystroke you type
or...

Just don't do it. It's *not* a healthy thing to do.
        Daniel

--
Physics is littered with the corpses of dead unified field theories.
        -- Freeman Dyson