running X in a telnet session

Hi All,
I'm using telnet to log into my desktop machine from my laptop and
I would like to be able to run an application on the desktop machine and
have the display be on the laptop.  After loging into the desktop and
switching the DISPLAY variable:

    >export DISPLAY="192.168.1.2:0.0"

I get this error message when I try to run a program:

Xlib: connection to "192.168.1.2:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to display
"192.168.1.2:0.0"

Any ideas?

thanks,
Andy