Gateway Solo 2150 fan works sporadically under Linux

Hello all. I have Debian woody running on a Gateway solo 2150 with a custom
compiled 2.4.0-test11 kernel. I had a problem with the fan not operating
under Linux (even with the stable kernels). It seems that the only time I can
get it to turn on is if I shutdown the computer and after it attempts to turn
the power off sometimes it will hang (no screen everything is shutdown) and
then the fan will kick on. Also I cannot get this thing to ever reboot
properly (runlevel 6) it will go to reboot, but then it will just hang and
the screen will be white and I have to power it off by pressing the button
(when it hangs in this case sometimes the fan will kick on there too). I've
had APM turned on in the BIOS before and recently I had it turned off just
relying on APM from the kernel. I also attempted to get ACPI working, but
this gives extremely jittery mouse action and makes sound jumpy too so I
turned that back off. The fan is supposed to kick on once it reaches a
certain temperature I assume to conserve battery power. So if anyone has a
clue as to what I can do it would be greatly appreciated. My laptop can get
very hot and this is not good for it, also it does not perform very well once
it start getting warm.

Dan
Daniel E. Baumann
E-mail: baumannd@msoe.edu (preferred)
        baumannd@users.sourceforge.net
        baumannd@penguinpowered.com
        baumannd@obfuscation.penguinpowered.com (caution: dynamic DNS)

Web location: 	http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd
                http://www.linuxfreak.com/~baumannd

"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."

      -- Dave Olson

"...that as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by an invention of ours, and this we
should do freely and generously..."

     -- Benjamin Franklin