PCMCIA modem questions

G'Day !

Ok here is some more information ...

I dial into my IP using wvdial ... it creates a PPP link to my provider,
negotiates a IP address and set-up a routing information.  I can type "ifconfig"
and verify that PPP is set-up and when I type "route" it returns a routing
table, albiet it takes 2 or 3 minutes.

I can not ping the default gateway returned by the route command.  It is the
same however as the Peer I'm supposedly linked to according to ifconfig.

I have set-up the same configuration on a desktop, so I think this is a PCMCIA
issue.  Is it possible a modem issue ?  Any known issues with a SmartLink
5634pcc SurfRider (56kbps Fax/Modem)

Product info (returned by cardctl):  "PCMCIA CARD 56KFaxModem", "FM56C-NFS",
"5.41"
manfid:  0x014e, 0x0088
function: 2 (serial)

I have been using the PCMCIA-Howto, the Networking-Howto, and the PPP-Howto with
little success.

cheers,
Jim Parker

Sailboat racing is not a matter of life and death ....  It is far more important
than that !!!
----- Forwarded by Jim Parker/Coinstar Inc/US on 11/22/00 02:15 PM -----

                    Jim Parker
                                         To:     debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
                    11/22/00 10:38       cc:
                    AM                   Subject:     PCMCIA modem questions(Document link: Jim Parker)

G'Day !

Well it looks like I'm lucky ... I plugged my PC card modem into the laptop
heard a beep and low and behold it is recognized as a modem and is working ....
almost

My PPP connection is real flacky.  Sometimes it disconnects, every so often
(every 5 minutes or so).  Last night it did not disconnect, but I could not see
the outside world.  When I typed route, the route program would display the
headings, but would not display the info from proc and hang.  (I check
/proc/net/route and did see what looked like the appropiate info).

I had set up the laptop for an ethernet  connection to a private LAN, so my
thoughts are it is trying to use set-up info in /etc/init.d/ ...

BTW both my NIC card and modem are PC cards.

Any thoughts or comments ?