Re: Budget Laptop for Linux?

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 04:10:09PM +0000, John Miskinis wrote:
>    About a year ago I picked up an IBM Thinkpad 560
> (ultra portable, came out in '96) to experiment with
> Linux on.
>
>    Because it did not have a builtin CDROM, I had to
> learn a lot about Linux, to get started, but I ended up
> getting everything to work on it.
>
>    My advice is to get a laptop with a builtin CDROM, and
> your life will be a bit easier.

I've installed debian on an old NEC Versa (486/75) and never
found its lack of cdrom drive to be a detriment when I was
installing. (I did a network install).

If you need to install via cdrom (for whatever reason) then,
obviously, a built in cdrom drive makes things easier.

--
David Karlin
dkarlin@coloradomtn.edu