Re: Can't boot Linux from hard drvie

> I'd strongly recommend you put LILO in the mbr of your hard drive. It seems
> to always work so much better for me that way. It doesn't hurt anything,
> because you can (as you may well know) boot windows ME from the LILO prompt.
> Just add the partition winME is on to /etc/lilo.conf so that it looks almost
> like your linux partition's config section, but you don't want it to mount
> read-only, and you don't have a /vmlinuz for windows ;). Maybe I'm stupid
> too, who knows. Haven't used linux actively for a long while.
>
> - Jordan
>
> webfreak@themes.org
> http://e.themes.org php developer

Also possible to use a different MBR replacement to do the picking - then,
LILO installed as you described makes a lot more sense.  There's a stack
of 'em listed at freshmeat if you go digging... GAG actually *looks* really
nice, but I haven't tried it yet.

Anyways unlike many apps, LILO's manual actually is excellemt and definitely
has examples of loading up an MSwin partition (search for 'dos').  If I were
given the same situation (dual ME + Debian) I'd use LILO, it's quiet and I'm
used to it.

Hmm, does anyone know if there's a helpful GUI for lilo.conf the way there's
a helpful GUI for LOADLIN.EXE?

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...