Re: Debian mass installation

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:32:57AM +0100, Christian Rehn wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to install Debian on a number of laptops over the network
> > automatically.  As all laptops have the same hardware I'd like to
> > install one manually, generate a file that describes the configuration
> > and install Debian with the identical configuration on the other
> > laptops without following the interactive setup.
> > I know that RedHat has something called kickstart that does the job.
> > Is there a similar program for Debian?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Christian
>
> 	Two programs you should have a look at. FAI and replicator.
> Search for them on freshmeat.
>
> 	The other option is if they're going to be exactly the same.
> ie exact same hardware exact same install.
> Just create a disk image of one of them and then create a boot disk that
> nfsmounts over a networks and dd's the image to the disk.

I *really* don't recommend dd, one annoying glitch in the new laptop's disk
and you'll never really know what app got shredded.  Tarball, sure.  dd, I'd
only use for a floppy or a RAM disk.  (floppies are small enough to do a
checksum of sanely, and if a RAM disk has "scratches" it's worth knowing.)

But I did forget to mention rsync...

* Heather * star@ many places...