From: "Peter J. Braam" <braam@cs.cmu.edu>
To: <intermezzo-discuss@inter-mezzo.org>, <intermezzo-devel@inter-mezzo.org>
Subject: current developments
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:36:30 -0800

Gord Matzigkeit is packaging up version 1.0-beta1 for us - it will probably
be based on last Tuesday's version.  Shirish has done extensive testing on
this and it should be stable and usable - but conflicts are cumbersome to
resolve.

A lot has also happened at the head of the tree - Shirish and I branched
InterMezzo.  The branch tag is something like v1_0beta1 and this one is
pretty much unchanged.  The packaging should first target this.

We then went on a cleaning spree and removed GetML from the Lento code -
causing some problems. To make it worse, we switched to the official POE
distribution, asked Rocco Caputo to make some changes and fixed up Lento for
that purpose.  That led to POE-0.1110 released by Rocco today.

The head of CVS will soon work with POE-0.1110 at which point we no longer
have our own POE.  I also made some changes to the kernel code to aid
setting up and tearing down mount points. Shirish will add a minimal amount
of code to handle conflicts.  When things work again, we will make beta2
based on this (hopefully late next week).  We will make a small modification
to the "mount" package to make it easier to mount and unmount InterMezzo
file systems.

In addition I ported the kernel code to 2.4, which was rather a lot of work.
This is totally untested.  While I was doing this I noticed several
opportunities for improvements.  With 2.4 we will first fix the bugs and
make it work with ext2 (no fs recovery).  From there we go and work with
Chris Mason to get ReiserFS to support "extended" transactions.  Then we
have a recoverable InterMezzo for Linux 2.4.

Just to keep everyone up to date.

- Peter -

----- End forwarded message -----

--