IBM Thinkpad 770 - Mouse "goes crazy" in X

I've looked at the Linux Laptops HOWTOs and various webpages but I haven't found a solution.

My X 3.3.6 runs fine, but the mouse just jumps around uncontrollably. I've tried just the built-in trackpoint, and I've tried plugging in a regular MS Intellimouse in the PS/2 port. Same problem.

I've tried modifying the XF86Config with different protocols - "PS/2", "Microsoft", and "Intellimouse". I've tried modifying the device in XF86Config - "/dev/psaux", "/dev/mouse", "/dev/gpmdata"
I've tried with and without "Emulate3Buttons"

The mouse works fine in text mode.  But when I start X, it is uncontrollable.

BTW- I'm running potato (new install) and XFree86 3.3.6. I tried XFree86 4.0.1 but I couldn't even get a screen to show on that one....(seemed to start with no errors, but screen was blank).

Help?

Iohan