Re: X4 is slow on Neomagic (NM2200)

The 'dexter' utility would attempt to set the highest possible color
depth and all for you. Thus if you are running a laptop with only
2-8Mb ram and have the color depth set at 24. You are going to
experience some slow downs. What I did was to edit the
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file directly and set the default color depth to
16 and everything was back to normal. Hope this solves your problem

cheers
yhgian