Re: problems compaq contura 400CX laptop

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Marino wrote:

> i'm trying to install debian 2.2 on a laptop compaq contura 400CX with a 256MB hd and 8MB ram. i made a swap partition of 32MB. i fetched my base system via http and it was downloaded succesfully but while trying to extract it i receive the following message:
> VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for kswapd
> and i can't go on.
> what is wrong?
> i'll appreciate any help
> p.s.: i was told to use a compaq contura 400CX and it wasn't a choice of my own

I recently fighted aginst a compaq contura 4/25 (an old one). I had a problem that, I think, is similar. A
lot of processes (inclkuding swapper) failed because a problem with memory.

I recomend two hints:
a) search for a descition of your laptop in http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

or b) do like me: try passing lilo different amounts of memory. In my situation, my laptop has 20480KB of
phisical memory, but it only works if say lilo: mem=16259k. I read about similar problems with other compaq
laptops. (I recomend you to find out the amount of memory using a middle-point algorithm way...)