Re: APM support in kernel?

Heather et all

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 07:49:54PM -0700, Morgan Hall wrote:
> Sure, I know that I can modularize it, but I really like to know that
> I've customized it to fit my machine.  Picky, maybe, but isn't that
> why we go through this rather than pay someone else to do it?  I do
> anyway.
This is just want I do.  Okay I'm a s/w junkie and compiling source
isn't a problem for me.  The only problem for that for non-junkies
is the number of questions that you get on hardware/protocol/features
that the kernel can now support.  But I still believe that this is the
best way to proceed.

I joined this mail list to help others who have laptop problems that I
have some experience in.  But am happy to provide that help in different
ways if that is what is needed.  If I was to package up a kernel & pcmcia_ca
for my laptop configuration (Dell Inspiron 3200) then how much help
would that be?  I am unlikely to include IrDA support as I have no need
for it, and no kit to test it with even if I did build it in.
If anyone had a problem and couldn't get it to work I wouldn't know where
to start in helping them.

I think it would be much better if we created an area on www.debian.org
for laptops and their configurations.  We could break the area into the
different parts of the config that are appropriate.  One page for the settings
of Dell Inspirons, another for IBM Thinkpads, etc....
Other areas could look at other features that are not specific to a given
laptop (IrDA, NFS, email while roaming, etc).

I have just bought some web space and am starting to write the pages
for the thinks that I have learned.  It hasn't been up long, there isn't
much their, but please taken a look and let me know what you think (flame
suit on ;^): http://www.steve.dobson.org/debian/

If a more complete version of what I have planned for my site could be
done at w.d.o it would need a number of volunteers, because of the number of
laptops that Linux runs on.  Heather, Morgan, anyone else interested in
helping put this together?

Steve

--
                                Steve Dobson steve.dobson@krasnegar.demon.co.uk

If you explain so clearly that nobody can misunderstand, somebody will.