Re: Suspend to disk.

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, <star@starshine.org> wrote:

>> On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Kieren Diment <ghengis_khan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I have an old Dell lattitude xpi P100 SD here with Slink installed.
>> > Apm is working fine. Apparently there is a suspend to disk
>> > facility, as when i press fn-d, i get a bios generated error
>> > message, somethiing like "suspend to disk failed". Does anybody
>> > know how to get this facility working?
>>
>> You are probably out of luck as laptop vendors seldom test this
>> feature under Linux, so it seldom works.
>
> Um, actually, that usually happens because save to disk needs some
> sort of prepared location on disk to put everything... and most people
> (including many vendors that preload) don't realize that, so when they
> install Linux they don't check the safety of the hibernate partition.

That may sometimes be the case but, well, not with some of the hardware
I have had. Let me assure you that there are, out there, plenty of
laptops where the BIOS will hang, hard, trying to suspend to disk, or to
restore from it.

Really. I know, four out of five machines I have had that didn't work
successfully with suspend-to-disk, that was why.

Unless there was something I was missing beyond setting up the partition
with phdisk (or whatever the tool for the hardware was) and getting it
to happily suspend and resume from that partition under Windows...

> <plug type="cheap">Of course, I know a vendor that *does* take such
> care, since I happen to work for them. And Tuxtops offers potato
> preloads too. </plug>

Y'all don't have an Australian office, by any chance?

> As for hardware vendors, I fear more *new* hardware is going to suffer
> problems, as MSwin have changed over to ACPI entirely, so there is
> even less incentive for them to test APM firmware well. :(

Yeah, that will, indeed, suck mightily. Having seen the code that
implements APM, though, as well as some of the other Phoenix BIOS
code... I can't say that I am surprised it's buggy. Messy does not even
start to cover it...

[...]

>> Anyway, once it's working under Windows, give it a run under Linux.
>> If it works, it does. If not, well, there probably isn't much that
>> can be done to fix it, I am afraid.
>>
>>         Daniel
>
> This is also pretty much true - Linux is a great OS, but if your APM
> BIOS is truly broken, there isn't a whole lot we can do about that.

Yup. World of pain. :)

        Daniel

--
We have nothing to lose because we don't have anything.
        ... Anything we want anyway ...