Re: cpu speed & bogomips

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, m.nine.six wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'm using an thinkpad 570 with pII 366 mhz with debian potato.
>
> sometimes after rebooting the bios shows me that my cpu speed is only
> 180 mhz. and also the linux kernel gets it as 180 mhz but then the
> bogoMips shows 360 as following:
>

> 	Detected 183630 kHz processor.
> 	Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
> 	Calibrating delay loop... 363.72 BogoMIPS
>
> my question is: what's going on??? and also what i would know: is my box
> now slower than my 4 years old server???

Two things here.

One: many (mosgt) laptops allow you to change the actual CPU speed to save
power. look into the linux-based utilities package (if any) for your brand
of laptop, or (wince) install Windows and use the manufacturer's utility.

Two: Bogomips are not very scientific. I have seen them off by a factor of
6, with no apparent change in actual performance or more exact benchmarks.
take 'em with a grain of salt.

Ben

My MP3 player says:
I'm currently listening to "Think", by The Blues
Brothers. Rock on!