Re: D-Link 650 Ethernet

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 02:22:39PM -0700, Jules K. wrote:
> I am having problems with my new D-Link 650 PCMCIA card. When I insert it,
> it loads just find and creates a new network device, but I can never
> access any other computers through it, and according to ifconfig it never
> transmits or recieves packets. Checking /var/log/syslog, it is being
> loaded as a "KTI ETHER-C15 Fast ethernet" instead of a "D-Link DFE-650",
> and when I comment out the description for the KTI card in
> /etc/pcmcia/config, it tries (and fails) to load as an "Anonymous Memory"
> card! Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

My d-link dfe-660tx works fine when I just plug it in.  I never configured
anything.

Have you configured /etc/network/interfaces?  Read the manpage for
interfaces.  You might have to install dhclient for dhcp?

You should be using ifup and ifdown and not ifconfig directly to start
network.  I use "/etc/init.d/networking start|stop" which calls ifup and
ifdown.

--
Pat Mahoney	<patmahoney@gmx.net>

But maybe good is more than the absence of bad.
                -- Hobbes in "Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson