Re: laptop experiences...

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 01:46:27PM +0200, mc@hack.org wrote:
> mc@hack.org writes:
>
> > phil_g@pobox.com (Phil Gregory) writes:
> >
> > > On my thinkpad (755CSE), all I had to do to get hibernation working
> > > was create a DOS partition and use IBM's utility (PS2.EXE, I think)
> > > to create a hibernation file in the DOS partition.
> >
> > Really? I guess I'm not that up to date with terminology here. I'm
> > very new to the laptop world.
>
> To clarify my own post, I want to add that I have only two visible
> partitions on the Thinkpad, one Ext2 for / and one for Linux swap. I
> haven't created any partition for suspend mode. I assumed the kernel
> simply swapped out all running processes and picked them up from there
> when restarting. That seems like the natural thing to do, right?
>
> I haven't looked into the APM support in the kernel to confirm
> this. Can anyone tell me about it?

	Hibernate is suually different to suspend. In suspend there is usuallay
still stuuf in RAM being kept there by the battery. Easy test put the laptop into suspend
pull out the battery wait a bit put it back. If it still works then you're in hibernate
which means everything was saved to disk. If it's rebooted then it's just suspend.
	Standby is sort of the lowest level of saving. It just powers down disks and the
lcd display.

--
John