Re: laptop experiences...

phil_g@pobox.com (Phil Gregory) writes:

> On my thinkpad (755CSE), all I had to do to get hibernation working
> was create a DOS partition and use IBM's utility (PS2.EXE, I think)
> to create a hibernation file in the DOS partition.

Really? I guess I'm not that up to date with terminology here. I'm
very new to the laptop world.

What's the difference between hibernation and suspending? The manual
page of apm(1) doesn't mention "hibernate" at all; it only mentions
"suspend mode" and "standby mode". Both of these work on my Thinkpad
570 without explicitly creating a FAT partition.

It seems that "standby mode" is a battery savings mode, but keeps most
of the box running. "Suspend mode", on the other hand, stops the
CPU. When I restart from suspend mode, I can continue where I left
off. All processes are still running. I usually only reboot when I'm
upgrading the kernel.

--
Mikael "MC" Cardell <mc@hack.org>
Temple of the Moby Hack