Re: PCMCIA

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Mark Mangano wrote:
> Hi all. Just installed Debian (kernel 2.2.12) on my
> Toshiba 435 CDS Satellite Pro (120mhz, 16 meg ram). All went well,
> and by recompiling a new kernel I was even able to get
> sound up. (I used the make-kpkg technique; went well without a hitch).
> When the default kernel came up, I had full access to my pcmcia cards
> (ethernet and modem) and they both worked well. I only recompiled
> to get sound up and to get a slightly more efficient kernel. Problem is
> with my new kernel I can't seem to get the pcmcia cards up and running.
> There doesnt seem to be an option in make menuconfig to have pcmcia
> included in the kernel. How do I get this up? I read the "How-to PCMCIA",
> and it seems to mention a pcmcia package. Was this compiled automatically
> during the install, and then the modules removed during my remake of the kernel??
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.
>

> --

PCMCIA is a separate package. To roll your kernel the "Debian" way and
compile pcmcia modules you first have to grab the kernel-source and
pcmcia-source packages. You then unpack these, I would stick the kernel at
/usr/src/linux-2.x.x and then there should be a modules directory
/usr/src/modules. In the /usr/src/ directory you should see the pcmcia
tarball. When you unpack the pcmcia tarball it puts things in
/usr/src/modules, so you you get /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-xxx;  something
like that. Anyway, you do:

	make-kpkg clean
	make-kpkg --revision=3:custom.1.0 kernel_image
	make-kpkg --revision=3:cutom.1.0 modules_image (this will compile all
serparate modules packages like PCMCIA and ALSA, etc.)

What's the '3:' the revision for? Well that is what is called the epoch and I
set mine to this so apt would not try and update my custom kernel_image with
one from the debian mirror (which it was trying to do because the latest
official 2.2.17 kernel has an epoch of one and my old kernel had
--revision=custom.1.0 which has no epoch)

Then install you kernel deb file and voila new kernel.

All this stuff can be found in /usr/doc/kernel-kpkg, so look there I might
have something a little scewed as I don't have my laptop with debian on it.
I am using this RedHat box (which I plan to convert to debian when I get some
time).

Dan
Daniel E. Baumann
E-mail: baumannd@msoe.edu (preferred)
        baumannd@users.sourceforge.net
        baumannd@penguinpowered.com
        baumannd@obfuscation.penguinpowered.com (caution: dynamic DNS)

Web location: 	http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd
                http://www.linuxfreak.com/~baumannd

"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."

      -- Dave Olson