Re: LILO probs fixed - MBR faulty

> Hi,
>   thanks to Olaf Meeuwissen and others who responded to my request for
> help.
>
> I was encouraged to continue adjusting lilo.conf until it recognised my
> three OS (RH6.2, Debian 2.2 & Win98).
>
> It is now possible to boot into RH and Debian but Win98 seems to have a
> problem still. I had tried using "install-mbr" and this seems to have
> damaged the boot record of Win98.
>
> Booting Win98 comes up with the MBR of install-mbr. I ran DOS Fdisk /mbr
> but that did not fix it. I seem to remember a similar problem some years
> ago which I was able to fix with Norton Fixdisk. I won't be home for
> another week so I'll just leave it for now.
>
> Thanks again,
> 	      Tim

Hmmmm.  Here's one more thing to try.  If all your Linux stuff is inside an
extend volume, and there are no FAT fs spaces in the extend, win98 likes
this not in the least.  (I didn't think of it at first because the symptoms
seemed off - however, you never claimed to try a floppy, which would fail
abysmally.)

If this is the case change your extend to type 85 (linux extend) so it won't
trigger DOS' mechanism for filling in the record for D:

Once you have solved this, the LILO or install-mbr types of MBR should work
equally well.  If this is indeed the problem, the "natural" DOS MBR can't
do anything good for you.  It does not appear to me that your boot problem
is from install-mbr.

As a preference, I think the install-mbr is elegant.  I like the idea that
it won't say much, but I can hit SHIFT and access everywhere.

* Heather * star@ many places...