Re: PCMCIA, no what.....

"G. L. `Griz' Inabnit" <griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us> writes:

> I have an old Digital HiNote Ultra CS450 laptop that just runs like a champ.
> It's a DX-50 w/24 meg RAM & a 335 meg hd (very limited on room). But I'm in a
> bit of a quandry as to how the PCMCIA modules are 'supposed' to be
> install/loaded.
> When I recompiled the kernel (for specific options I wanted), I named it
> kernel-image-2.2.17_hinote2.2.17-0_i386.deb
> ( a naming convention I use to specify machine and build [ -0, -1, -1 ,etc] )
> After ftp'ing the file over, I attempted to install it, and was told I couldn't
> due to conflicts with kernel-image-2.2.17_2.2.17pre6-1    So, I first attempted
> to rename the image I had just compiled (which didn't work), then recompiled
> the kernel, with the name of kernel-image-2.2.17_2.2.17pre6-1_i386.deb.

I guess this was not the best idea. Use something like

        /usr/src/linux# make-kpkg --revision=hinote.1.0 kernel_image
        /usr/src/linux# make-kpkg --revision=hinote.1.0 modules_image
        /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs# debian/rules binary-cs

to generate v1.0 of your own kernel plus pcmcia stuff (providing you
have the pcmcia sources); then 'dpkg -i [the results]' on the machine
onto which you want to install them. Note the "."s and "-"s in your
first solution are the cause of the version confusion. 'debian/rules
binary-cs' will also build the 'cardctl' et. al. stuff from scratch.

> Does it matter that the machine I'm using to compile the kernels has NO pcmcia
> support?

Should be OK as long as your kernel is booting and you have the
sources, shouldn't it?

> On the pcmcia-source package; Am I "supposed" to run those scripts? (the README
> didn't tell me much, nor the others).

see above

> Also, if anyone is interested, I would dearly love to see about getting the Ir
> port working.

Not sure about that.

# apt-get install irda-tools irda-common

, enable the IrDA options in the kernel's .config and recompile.

HTH
AB
--
Andre Berger <andre.berger@topmail.de> from Bonn, Germany