PCMCIA, no what.....

Please bear with me, people.
Some of my questions are going to be "most basic", and this letter will be long.

I have an old Digital HiNote Ultra CS450 laptop that just runs like a champ.
It's a DX-50 w/24 meg RAM & a 335 meg hd (very limited on room). But I'm in a
bit of a quandry as to how the PCMCIA modules are 'supposed' to be
install/loaded.

Due to lack of sleep, when I heard that POTATO had moved to STABLE, I decided
to update this 'ole thing. And presto, it booted into WOODY! (didn't pay enough
attention to the sources.list file). Anyhow, I ran into the same glitch with
the mouse/keyboard and a friend discovered a very old E-mail that explained how
to hack the kernel to add in a time delay into the PS/2 probing for these older
machines.

Here's where the difficulties occur.
I installed the kernel-image-2.2.17 and the corresponding pcmcia-cs/modules.
Now, when I compile a kernel, I have to use a different machine.
1. No room on this hd
2. No horsepower! :--)  Takes about 12 hours on this

When I recompiled the kernel (for specific options I wanted), I named it

kernel-image-2.2.17_hinote2.2.17-0_i386.deb
( a naming convention I use to specify machine and build [ -0, -1, -1 ,etc] )

After ftp'ing the file over, I attempted to install it, and was told I couldn't
due to conflicts with kernel-image-2.2.17_2.2.17pre6-1    So, I first attempted
to rename the image I had just compiled (which didn't work), then recompiled
the kernel, with the name of kernel-image-2.2.17_2.2.17pre6-1_i386.deb.
This image DID install, and run. But, to me, this feels like I'm working my way
around a situtaion. In other words, I think I'm getting there, but via the
backroads.

Thinking that I was "missing something", I pulled down the pcmcia-source on my
machine at the shop, cp'ed it to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17.hinote, untar'd
it there (gave me /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17.hinote/modules/pcmcia).
>From here I went into the pcmcia directory and ran the ./Configure script. It
'seemed' to work, and even said it created something. :--)  What, I don't know.
I looked in /usr/src, /lib/modules, /usr/src/linux,
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17.hinote, etc and didn't find any new .deb packages
(but, as I said, I am rather lost here).

How "should" I compile kernels (and use my own naming convention)?
	I'm using my PII 400 at the shop to do it right now. Is this wrong?
Does it matter that the machine I'm using to compile the kernels has NO pcmcia
support?

On the pcmcia-source package; Am I "supposed" to run those scripts? (the README
didn't tell me much, nor the others).

Folks, I have NO problem with reading. I'll be happy to tear up a couple of
URL's, man pages, info pages, /usr/doc/pages to find this stuff out on my own,
but, to-date, I'm rather stumped.

I've sat this list for about a month now, and have watched a number of you
(hello heather!) walk others thru these areas, with skill and style. So, now
it's my turn to clutters your mailboxes.

Also, if anyone is interested, I would dearly love to see about getting the Ir
port working. It would make life SO much simplier, when I need to xfer from
this machine to the one at the shop. :--)  The network card & modem both are
running, wonderfully, but I've had an interest in Ir for some time. Both this,
and my 400 at the shop "should" support it. I just have to learn how to set it
up, what to compile, where, etc.

Also, both machines are running 2.2.17, the 400 has the IDE patch applied, this
one does not.

Respectfully,

G. L. `Griz' Inabnit

M$ Windoz.....
	A 32 bit extension and graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
	an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
	written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!!
In a world without fences, who the hell needs Gates??
Always remember, and never forget; Windoz were made to be broken!!
M$ Windoz, brought to you by the Gates of Hell!
You know how many jokes there are about M$ Windoz? Only ONE!! The rest of the
stories are TRUE!!
                              OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
				  griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                Via IRC at; 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts