Re: Potato on a laptop

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Triggs; Ian wrote:
> ok, so I installed sndconfig out of woody and ran it.  Firstly the PCI
> probe said: "A PCI sound card was found in your system.  The details are:
>    Model: Unknown vendor|unknown device 125d:1978"
> After pressing OK: "The Unknown vendor|unknown device 125d:1978 is not
> supported"  Then exists, would it help if I recompiled the kernel and
> added some different form of sound support?  If I do, what sort of support
> should I compile into the kernel?
>

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, John Griffiths wrote:
>
> > i got sndconfig out of woody and it worked ok
> >
> > used dpkg to install it without doing the full upgrade...
> >

> > At 04:38 PM 8/30/2000 +1100, Triggs; Ian wrote:
> > >Hi, I recently succesfully installed potato on my Toshiba Satellite
> > >2100CDS laptop.  All is working fine, in fact, it was the easiest install
> > >of Linux I have ever done, out of any distributions, plus I was
> > >installing it over ftp, with a PCMCIA card, through a wingate proxy.
> > >
> > >Now I want to configure the sound card in the laptop, I was wondering if
> > >anyone could tell me if they knew what sound card the laptop uses?  I have
> > >looked in the manuals but cannot find anything in there.
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > >Ian
> > >

> > >--
> > >

> --

Why don't you have a look at ALSA. http://www.alsa-project.org. They may have
a driver for you. If it wasn't for this project my laptop wouldn't be able to
talk :).

Dan
Daniel E. Baumann
E-mail: baumannd@msoe.edu (preferred)
        baumannd@penguinpowered.com
        baumannd@obfuscation.penguinpowered.com (caution: dynamic DNS)

Web location: 	http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd
                http://www.linuxfreak.com/~baumannd

"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."

      -- Dave Olson