Re: Card recommendations (was Re: pcmcia custom installation)

Daniel E. Baumann wrote:
> How about Linksys Etherfast 10/100 56K V.90 combo card (manufacturers part
> number PCMLM56). Setup instructions can be found at
> http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=26. This is the card that I
> have had my eye on for a while and when I get the cash I am gonna spring for
> it.

I have that card.  With one slight exception it has worked very well for me.
The single exception is more the fault of the default config of the
pcmcia-cs package and not the card.  Note: with slink this problem did not
yet exist - it came about with the potato pcmcia package, and I believe
still exists in the woody version.

The default config for the pcmcia package reserves certain resources for
various card types.  One of those is the token ring cards.  Unfortunately
the resource reserved for the token ring cards is the same as needed for the
modem portion of the Linksys card.

It is easily fixed, however.  Go into the file /etc/pcmcia/config.opts  Find
the section where a range of IO ports is reserved for the IBM Token Ring
cards, and comment out that line.  The modem portion of the Linksys card
will then work just fine.

So, bearing in mind that you will need to do a slight modification to the
pcmcia configuration (if you are running either potato or woody) I would
certainly reccomend the PCMLM56 card as being well worth the money.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.