Card recommendations (was Re: pcmcia custom installation)

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shaleh@valinux.com> writes:
> >> What card are you trying to support?
> >
> > It's a 3COM Megahertz 10/100 LAN + 56K modem card. Unfortunately I
> > read in SUPPORTED.CARDS that it uses a Winmodem. Oh well, I can use my
> > old 10M card for modem and the new one for ethernet. Is there a way to
> > disable one part of a combo card, eg., disable the ethernet on the old
> > card so that only the modem part of the card is used?
> >

> if cardmgr can't use the device, it will ignore it.  So the modem
> part will be ignored.

Well, in my scenario I'd be using the old 10M + 56k card for just a
modem. All of it works, but I'd like to disable the Enet part of that
card and use the Enet from the new 656C card.

> > Additionally, the new card isn't recognized by the PCMCIA software. I
> > get the following on the console when I insert it:
> >
> > Aug 29 17:03:21 saix3449 cardmgr[145]: initializing socket 1
> > Aug 29 17:03:21 saix3449 cardmgr[145]: unsupported card in socket 1
> > Aug 29 17:03:22 saix3449 cardmgr[145]:   product info: "3Com Corporation",
> > "3CXFEM656C-LAN", "LAN", "1"
> > Aug 29 17:03:22 saix3449 cardmgr[145]:   manfid: 0x0102, 0x6564  function: 6
> > (network)
> >

> verify that the manfid it returns matches the one in
> /etc/pcmcia/network.<something> (laptop at home, doing this from
> memory).

Yeah, I just spotted a post in comp.os.linux.portable that says I may
need to use the Beta PCMCIA stuff to make it work by default.

> You may have to add a line for that manfid.  If so, mail David Hinds (pcmcia
> maintainer) so he can use it from now on.
>
> > It may have something to do with the ID string my card is feeding the
> > PCMCIA stuff. Maybe it's slightly different than what the PCMCIA
> > software is expecting? Certainly the SUPPORTED.CARD file lists the
> > 3CXFEM656C as supported. Is this not the same as 3CXFEM656C-LAN?
> >

> pcmcia will use either that string or the manfid.

Thanks.

Maybe the best solution is to send the thing back and get a fully
functional card. Anyone have a good suggestion for a 10/100 + 56k card
that works out of the box with pcmcia-cs-3.1.19? I could kick myself
in the rear for not asking here first!

Gary