Re: plip installation (Host name lookup failure)

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, David Karlin wrote:

> I'm doing an installation from the potato floppy boot disk set
> dated July 5, 2000.   Kernel and modules are installed; plip is
> configured and I can ping hosts on the Internet by name from VC2.
>
> Over on VC1, the installation scripts are running, and I'm at the
> stage "Install the Base System".  I choose "network" and leave
> the download url and proxy settings at their defaults
> (http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current
> and proxy: none).
>
> When it tries to fetch the files, I get this message:
> "nf_http_fetchfile :: http.us.debian.org couldn't be resolved,
> Host name lookup failure (h_errno=2)."

only thing I could think of is if your DNS servers are set up
properly?  However if you can ping *hostnames* then they are set up fine.

One other suggestion, use ftp instead of http.  More relible and also ftp
was built for moving files whilst http was built for moving those fancy
webpages.

> This seems strange, since that host responds to pings on VC2.

when you ping do you use the _hostname_ or the hostaddress (ip address, 4
sets of numbers from 0->255)?

Alex