No MII transceivers found!

I am trying to set up Debian on a Toshiba Protégé 7140.
This machine has no CD drive, there is no docking station available.

I decided to try to install the base system using floppies, which has
been hell until I found older floppies images (I thank Charlie Hedlin for
posting the location of these older and working images).

I now have to set the network up in order to install the rest of the system.
The ethernet/fax card is a "3Com Megahertz 3CCFEM556". Whenever I run
/etc/init.d/pcmcia start I see this in /var/log/messages:

cardmgr: ioctl: Operation not supported
cardmgr: SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
cardmgr: SIOCADDRT: Network is down
cardmgr: SIOCADDRT: Network is unreacheable
kernel:  No MII transceivers found!

Is there any solution? Is there more info I should provide?

Thanks a lot in advance.

---
      Amaya M. Rodrigo Sastre        Demasiado.com Corporation
       amayita@demasiado.com       Orense 28, 1ºB   28020 Madrid
          Webmistress  ;-)       Tfno - 915567357 | Fax - 915971484

                   Falling in love is hard on the knees