Re: putting debian on a dell inspiron 3500

Well, I have a 3500 and it was painless.  I used FIPS to reduce the size
of my FAT32 partition (the latest version supports it with no problem).
It can use a partition or a file, but use the phdisk utility to check what
it is using, and to delete or recreate the partition/file.  The goldcard
global 56k modem should work, I have one, but no dongle so I can't test
it.  Do you not have the cable to allow you to connect the floppy
externally?  You can order this from Dell to make this easier.  I have
found hot swaping to work quite well as long as I boot with the CD drive
in it, but that would be hard for your goals.

I don't think tapes are a good option, but in refernce to your floppy
tapes, a lot of early (and not so early) QIC drives ran from the floppy
controller, and that is what FTAPE is aimed at.

In summary, get the cable from Dell that allows the floppy drive to run
from the Parallel port and you should do very well.

Charlie