ALSA, Tecra 8100, and sound devices

Hello world,

Armed with Ken Beyer's excellent summary of how to get ALSA drivers
working on the Tecra 8100[1], I can play sounds with aplay, but other
programs, like mpg123, complain that /dev/dsp can't be opened. I've run
the snddevices script. I ought to be able to open dev/dsp:

hermes:~$ ls -ld /dev/dsp
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Jun 17 11:03 /dev/dsp -> /dev/dsp0
hermes:~$ ls -ld /dev/dsp0
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Jun 17 11:03 /dev/dsp0
hermes:~$ groups
ndw dialout cdrom floppy audio www-data src video staff games users

Any thoughts? In the meantime, I have a workaround using

	mpg123 -q -s "file.mp3" | aplay -m -q -

but I'd like to have direct support so that I can use other programs
that drive mpg123.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

[1] http://wtsupport.metatec.net/technotes/redhat6.2-tecra8100.html