Not powering down

I am just installing potato on my new laptop (Packard Bell EasyLite FX 500)
and it doesn't seem to be powering down correctly at shutdown.

At the end of the shutdown sequence, "Power down." is announced, but the
computer does not actually turn off and has to be turned off with the
switch.

I tried setting CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF ("Use real mode APM BIOS call
to power off") to Yes in the kernel settings, but it didn't seem to make any
difference.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
Stephen Turner               http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
    Statistical Laboratory, Centre for Mathematical Sciences,