RE: XFree86, ATI Rage Mobility

> My last machine, a Gateway 2150XL (Mobility 'M', 4 megs) couldn't run using
> any XFree86 servers that I tried, the best I could get was a screen with
> amazing vertical banding - even attempting to install Solaris/Intel resulted
> in the same thing.
>
> A Dell Inspiron 7500 (Mobility 'P', 8 megs) has no such problems and the
> latest RedHat 6.2 went straight on (text mode install) and detected and
> configured the Mach_64 server correctly for 1024*768, 32 bit. I realise
> that's not a result with Debian but there you go.
>
> I'm not sure what the differences are, but ATI's site mentions that
> manufacturers using those chipsets can customise them to a certain extent -
> that's why they have no generic drivers on the site.

SuperProbe output:
        Chipset: ATI Rage Mobility (Port Probed)
        Memory:  4096 Kbytes
        RAMDAC:  ATI Mach64 integrated 15/16/24/32-bit DAC w/clock
                 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
                 (programmable for 6/8-bit wide lookup tables)
        Attached graphics coprocessor:
                Chipset: ATI Mach64
                Memory:  4096 Kbytes

xviddetect output:
 10024c4d|i386|ATI Technologies Inc|3D Rage P/M Mobility AGP 2x

Thanks for your input,
Hugo van der Merwe